Tucked away behind 1-94 and between Chicago and Detroit sits the village of Paw Paw. Named after a nearby river, which was named after the paw paw fruit by an indigenous population, Paw Paw is in the heart of Michigan’s wine country. Lush orchards and vineyards line the drive from the lakeshore of Lake Michigan — which is only a 30-minute drive — to the village, giving you fresh air and a beautiful, soft place to escape to. Spending a weekend in Paw Paw, or even an afternoon, will have you in awe of all the natural beauty and things to do while you’re there. From wine tasting to visiting all the boutiques peppering the village to trying out all the eateries, you won’t run out of authentic Paw Paw activities. And, of course, you can’t leave Paw Paw without coming to Lucky Girl Brewing Co. and trying any of our craft beers on tap. Contact us today for directions to our red barn.
- Visit St. Julian Winery – Have a wine adventure in Paw Paw at the St. Julian Winery. Here, the grapes are crushed, fermented, bottled, shipped, tested, tasted, and enjoyed. This winery has an extensive collection of wines that include sparkling, dry white, sweet white, dry red, sweet red, dessert, hard ciders, and more. They even have winery tours that are open to all ages. If you find yourself wanting a more in-depth experience, you can always book a spot for a more enhanced tour that educates you about the wine and gives you cheese and chocolate to pair with the wine. Now that’s a triple threat.
- Shop Organic Food at the Paw Paw Farmer’s Market – This farmers market gives the community a chance to present its homegrown goods as a way to support sustainable agriculture and encourage the entrepreneurial spirit. In addition to showcasing local produce, the farmers market also displays baked goods and unique arts. This market operates during the warmer months, making it a must-see if you’re visiting during the summer. Support locally-grown produce, because it’s better for you (and it was grown with love), and local artists because doing so supports your community and makes you a good neighbor.
- Experience the Wine and Harvest Festival – Mark your calendars as busy the 6th through the 8th of September for a fun and family-friendly festival with tons of activities. There is something for everyone to enjoy, like tasting and tours for wine enthusiasts, a 5k run for those who would rather burn calories than drink them, a grape stomping competition, a kayak race, carnival rides, live music, fireworks, and a parade! It’s one weekend you don’t want to miss.
- Enjoy a Cinematic Experience at Five Mile Drive-In Theatre – Enjoy a cinematic experience without ever leaving the comfort of your own car! Drive-ins are symbolic of an American pastime that is dying out, so enjoy it while you still can! You don’t have to worry about overpriced snacks because you can bring your own, and if the kids get antsy because they’ve been in the car too long, just swing open those car doors and let them head to the playground. On special occasions, the Five Mile Drive-In is open on Thursday for midnight showings on newly released films. Grab some pals, your family, or your dog, and head over. Just make sure it’s between the months of July and October.
- Take Flight at the Air Zoo – This aerospace and science experience not only educates but entertains. Learn about planes, ride in a simulator, and explore all the exhibits. There are all kinds of hands-on experiences that make you feel apart of something bigger than you. If that didn’t sell you, you can even fly with Waldo Wright’s Flying Service. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you simply cannot miss out on. If you’ve ever dreamt of soaring over the beautiful Southwest Michigan countryside in a vintage Biplane, this is your chance.
- Connect With Nature at Kalamazoo Nature Center – Recognized as one of the top nature centers in the country, this is the perfect place to reconnect with nature. Leave your phone in the car and the stress of everyday life behind you as you explore the 1,100 acres of wooded, rolling countryside. This not-for-profit organization aims to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that let them understand and connect with the natural world around them. Now is a good a time as any to experience the beauty of the natural world, especially with the effects of climate change looming over us. Whether you visit in fall, winter, or summer, you are sure to experience a beautiful view and stunning sights.
- Visit Lucky Girl Brewing Company – If you’ve had a long day walking around and experiencing Paw Paw, then head to Lucky Girl Brewing Company and put your feet up. Order any one of our specialty craft beers on tap and enjoy an authentic and American experience in our red barn. If beer isn’t your thing, then try some of our delicious wine in our B52 Winery. Our craft beers, ciders, wines, and meads will surpass your every expectation, and our smoked meats will absolutely blow your socks off.
If you’re looking for a nostalgic experience in a great environment with great people, then come to Lucky Girl Brewing Company today. Even if you didn’t spend the whole day exploring Paw Paw, come visit our brewery and grab a beer with us. We have a drink with your name on it.